Friday, September 3, 2010

Silencing the Noise

Noise can mean many things to different people.  Most people hear or see the word "noise" and feel a sense of irritation...like noise in general can be annoying.  Loud or repetitive noises like car horns, construction or loud music would generall be considered irritating to the ear.  There is another type of noise that I think consumes all of us on a different level.  The noise of the distractions around us that keep us from doing the things our heart truly desires. 

When I wake up in the morning I tend to have an agenda of things I would love to accomplish that day ranging from spending quiet time with God, to working on my Bible study, to laundry, to errands, to, well you get the point.  That may be my ideal agenda, but typically my plans get warped by the noise around me.  The strange part is the noise is usually my choice, my decision is to be and stay noisy as much as possible.  My distracting noises are the internet, tv, bills, my own restlessness, and even boredom (ironically).  I have even found myself using music (even Christian or worship music) to be a form of noise for me.  Sometimes I justify or equate my time listening to Christian music as time spent in the presence of God.  I am not denying the power of the presence of God while worshiping Him through music, but I think there is such potential for a completely different experience when quieting yourself to actually hear Him! 

Even through my distractions, I tend to get the "easy" stuff done, the errands, cleaning and laundry and even the Bible study.  The tangible "to-do list" things seem to be easier for me to accomplish.  What seems to be forgotton is that life-saving, fulfilling intimate time with God.  The louder it gets, the less available my spirit is to be quiet.  Essentially, my noises allow me to avoid the things I know my heart needs, but my mind is telling me to avoid at all costs.  It is almost as if as much as I dislike all the noise and distractions, I migrate to that out of default.  Noise has always been my safety net.  As deafening as the sounds sometimes get, sometimes it is the most comforting, because that is all I have known for so long!  I honestly think I have been afraid of being quiet.  As much as I want to hear from God, I think I have been deathly afraid of it.



Over the last few weeks my husband has been out of town and I was anticipating hours of quiet time with God! I couldn't wait! I also decided that I wanted to paint the entire interior of my house (besides the bedrooms)! Over the course of 3 weeks, my time spent in God's presence was quickly dwindling and in it's place was painting. All of a sudden I didn't have time to talk to God, or listen to Him, for that matter. I was too busy. I became too busy to worry about how my husband was doing, or even to miss him. I truly missed him, but I wouldn't let myself feel it.


Painting my house became my most recent "noise". 

I began to resent the noise, but I couldn't pull myself away from it.  It consumed me and now I realize I was afraid of that quiet time with God, of actually achingly missing my husband and not being able to do anything about it, of having to deal with my own emotions.  I have been avoiding my emotions for years....how I avoid them has changed, but they are still being avoided, nonetheless.  As great as my house looks now freshly painted, I have the memory of what it cost me spiritually and emotionally to choose painting over time with God, and time with my husband and kids.

As my husband prepares once again to travel away for 3 weeks for his job, my prayer now is for peace.  The peace I know I already have within in me even if I don't feel it at the moment. Philippians 4:7 reminds me that I have "the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, it will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus".  I pray that I go to the One who can comfort me when I am feeling lonely or tempted or scared.  I know that God will walk me through those emotions and still be there to see me victorious through Him!  I continue to desire a growing hunger for God, an unquenchable thirst to know more of Him, to feel more of Him.  This will only be achieved by me spending more time with, well, Him!

Silencing the noises around us, whatever they may be, is a conscious decision we have to make in order for us to hear the soft whispers of God guiding our paths.  If we don't the noise may end up consuming us in a way that we would never expect.  The enemy likes to blindside us, that's for sure.

Jessie Daniels sings a song called "The Noise" that echos my own thoughts.  Check it out:

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Amen Sister! I mean daughter. Wow, I never thought of that before...Since God has no grandchildren, just sons and daughters, we're sisters too. And it wasn't that long ago that I could pass for it in the natural. :o)
    I love you! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your heart. It makes me want to go back to my blog....someday.

    ReplyDelete